Frequently asked questions regarding our shelters

What Types of Housing are Available?

The YWCA Prince Albert offers numerous housing and shelter programs. The main housing services offered by the YWCA are:

Emergency housing - short-term accommodation for people who are homeless or in crisis.

Transitional housing - housing intended to offer a supportive living environment and tools and opportunities for social and skills development. It is an intermediate step between emergency shelters and more permanent housing.

Supportive housing - a combination of housing and services intended to help people live more stable, productive lives.

Do I have to pay for the bed?

No. Clients do not need to pay for shelter accommodations. Rent is required in our transitional housing program.

Do I get meals for free?

The shelter provides the basic essentials for cooking (eggs, milk, bread, meat, cereal, oatmeal etc.) which are replenished on a weekly basis, however, clients are responsible for providing their own food beyond these essentials.

Do I cook my own meals?

Yes. Kitchens are fully equipped with all cooking and dinnerware essentials.

Do I have to share a room with other people?

The shelter has single rooms as well as rooms with bunk-beds, so sharing is definitely possible. All rooms will be given as first come, first serve basis upon intake.

How long can I stay?

There is a 30-day guideline. Individuals may stay longer dependent on the circumstances and eligibility.

Can I still stay if I have a job?

Absolutely. Clients with employment are required to save monies made for housing and needed items for when they leave.

Do I have a curfew?

No, unless specified by another agency.

Can my children stay with me?

Yes, they can if residing at the Central Avenue shelter, as long as they are sixteen and under.